Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Introduction


Pretty Little Liars
First off I want to say that this entire attempt at recapping is done out of love for the show. I like this show. I wouldn’t waste my time watching if I didn’t. But there are things about it that drive me nuts and I feel the need to speak out for those of us with a grain of common sense.
I know I’m late on the PLL band wagon. It’s in the middle of its third season I believe as I write this. I was avoid the show, to be honest. My tastes in shows is eclectic at best; Vampire Diaries to Eureka to House to America’s Next Top Model- I watch what I enjoy. When I heard about PLL I thought the title was lame and foretold of annoying, too beautiful to be real, spoiled, rich teenagers that lied about everything which made life complicated a la Desperate Housewives or Gossip Girl. I have never seen an episode of Desperate Housewives and I will live a long happy life never seeing one. I gave Gossip Girl a chance…a six episode chance…but I couldn’t care less about the characters after that many episodes so I happily forgot to watch it ever again.
Despite my efforts at avoidance, Netflix has insisted for months that I would like this show. They stick on my top 10 every other day. They place it on the TV shows you’d like page. Netflix shoved it in my face for so long, and I had run out of the other shows I like to watch. So, bored one Sunday and needing a show in the background while I played my Sims 3, I decided to give it a two show trial run. If I didn’t like it by the 2nd episode, I’d give it up.  Let me just say: hooked. First episode.
Now, I wasn’t far off the mark with PLL. It is about too beautiful, rich teenagers with a lot of lying but the characters have surprising depth and the mysteries are suspenseful enough to keep me watching. Plus, as a straight female, I have a huge girl crush on Ashley Benson. Made up or not, that girl is beautiful to look at.
I’ve been thinking about trying my hand at recapping. I read a few recaps here and there of shows I like. Some people do it great and some people literally recap the show. I like it when I get the author’s comments; I want to know if other people think the same things I do when I watch the episode. I don’t think people necessarily read recaps to be told what happened in a show- they read to see that they aren’t alone in noticing things about their favorite shows. The people reading have seen the show. They want some community, some connection with another person who also enjoys the show. It’s about a conversation with the reader that points out the good and the bad and the funny about these shows. At least to me, that’s what a good recapper does. Those are the ones I enjoy reading.
So, there’s the introduction as to why I’m doing this recap and why it is so far behind the actual show airings. This is just a practice at recapping, something I will do in my very few moments of spare time. I don’t know if anyone will ever read it but if you do get a chance I hope you find it at least mildly entertaining.
~Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment